“The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men / Gang aft a-gley.” ~ Robert Burns
In a perfect world all moves would take place on sunny, cloudless days. The winds would be still and accommodating and the temperature would be pleasant and refreshing. However, due to any number of unforeseen circumstances, moves can sometimes take place during inclement weather conditions. Such conditions are not only inconvenient they can also increase the dangers involved in moving. So how do you handle rainy conditions that may arise on your moving day? These tips will make sure that your moving day isn’t a complete washout.
- Be careful when moving in the rain: Always watch your footing when moving in the rain. Slips and falls can occur quickly in wet conditions and you should take every precaution to prevent this by taping down flooring, wearing the appropriate footwear, etc.
- Reinforce weak boxes: Make sure that each container you use is structurally sound and waterproof. Reinforce boxes by adding more packing tape to the corners. Also, cover sensitive items with plastic and taping. Finally, use garbage and grocery bags when needed.
- Place linings inside your containers: Water ruins a great many items. If you are not sure about whether or not an item you are moving can survive the rain, be sure to line the box it is in with a drop cloth or heavy duty garbage bag. Make sure to cover all sides of the box to be extra careful.
- Wait for lulls in the rain: Take advantage of any breaks if possible. Move your most delicate items at these times.
- Dry your items quickly: When you reach your destination dry items as fast as you can to mitigate any damage that may have been caused by the rain.
- Consider professional moving services: Professional movers will have experience with moving during inclement weather conditions. Our moving company in Agoura Hills can help you when the unexpected occurs and threatens to derail your plans.
Sometimes moving in rain cannot be avoided. Sudden storms can arise; the weather forecast can be off, etc. The important thing to remember is that by exercising an abundance of caution when bad weather begins you can still have a successful moving day. We provide moving and storage in Agoura Hills and can help you overcome this inconvenience.